The Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine - Compassionate doctors creating a better future for people and animals
Our featured nonprofit this July is the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine! PCRM's staff of physicians, dietitians, and scientists work with policymakers, industry, the medical community, the media, and the public to create a better future for people and animals.
Their priorities include:
- Shifting research from animal “models” to human-relevant studies
- Bringing nutrition into medical education and practice
- Conducting clinical research on healthful diets that builds the foundation for the role of nutrition in medicine
- Educating and empowering people to take control of their health through Kickstart, Food for Life, and other nutrition programs
- Working with policymakers and industry to adopt alternatives to chemical tests on animals
HISTORIC MILESTONE FOR ANIMALS: Just this week, after working toward the goal since it was founded in 1985, PCRM has succeeded in seeing an end to the use of animals in North American medical schools to teach students surgical methods.
The last remaining school to use animals has joined all other programs in the United States and Canada in using human-relevant training methods, effective immediately! PCRM said, “Simulation and other nonanimal teaching methods have supplanted the cruel and unnecessary use of live animals in the training of physicians.”
In 2015, they ended experiments on chimpanzees in the U.S., reached hundreds of thousands with lifesaving nutrition resources, got majority support in Congress for a bill that would limit toxicity tests on animals, and worked with schools across the country to get healthy, vegan options in the lunch lines.
Hear about all this and more in their 2015 highlights video:
Shop our store this month to support PCRM's work: www.brewinggoodcoffeecompany.com/shop-all