RECIPE - Cold brew coffee with vegan sweetened condensed milk
We made vegan sweetened condensed milk for our cold brew and it was too good to keep to ourselves! Just look at this...
Cold Brew Concentrate
Our cold brew recipe produces a double strength concentrate that dilutes over ice to drinking strength.
- Cold Brew Blend (our obsessively perfected blend of earthy Sumatran and fruity Ethiopian coffees)
- A brewing container (french press, large jar, or pitcher)
- A storage container (if making extra servings)
NOTE: Use the same amount of water you'd use for a regular pot of coffee, but double your amount of coffee
- Coarse grind your coffee, like you would for a French press.
- Pour the grounds into your brewing container.
- Pour the water onto the grounds and stir to fully immerse.
- Cover with a lid (do not compress the filter if using a French press).
- Leave in your refrigerator or a cool place on your counter top and let sit 12-18 hours (overnight works great).
- Filter your cold brew (plunge your French press filter or, if using a jar or pitcher, pour through a wire kitchen sieve with a piece of cheesecloth or let drip through a paper filter and basket.
- Pour over ice and enjoy!
- Store any extra up to 2 weeks in your refrigerator.
Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk
The rich earthy sweetness of Bee Free Honee is perfect for a homemade vegan SCM.
- 2-3 cups of your favorite plant-based milk (We like nutpods, a coconut/almond blend with no added sugar, and Ripple Half & Half Original.)
- 3 tbsp Bee Free Honee
- Slowly heat the milk/creamer on medium-low in saucepan until warm
- Add Bee Free Honee and stir to dissolve
- Heat almost to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer and let steam for 1-2 hours or until reduced by 50-60%*
- Pour into your icy cold brew and enjoy!
- Transfer any leftover SCM into an airtight container and store in your refrigerator
(*Alternatively, you can premix your milk and sweetener in a small-medium crock pot and simmer on low, checking periodically.)
Get started with the right coffee for the job: Cold Brew Blend